Saturday, April 30, 2005

They're about to call the police





Obviously the newest Weezer installment is good. They have yet to release a legitimately BAD album. It's just that each album following Pinkerton has gotten more and more ironic and more and more void of any type of recognizable feeling.

To begin with, the production signals far more effort and time spent than any offering since Pinkerton, save the "blow your wad" approach of Maladroit.

Let it be said that this album contains many satisfying hooks, a dark underbelly and for some reason, it arrives at a time where I'm willing to forgive Weezer for prior forays into shitville. But still, we find ourselves with an album that instead of taking sides, prefers to satisfy everyone. And that is dissapointing. The blue album was truly individual, Pinkerton was truly ballsy and now we find ourselves in some sort of impotent mix of "meaning it" and not "meaning it". Not that a rock band has to mean it all the time, but I wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

This creates certain moments when you'll awake from a dull stare and realize you're still listening to the new weezer album, enjoying it all along, but never stopping to get truly excited.

Songs like "We Are All On Drugs" make me want to ask them if they're serious. "Beverly Hills" makes me wanna ask if the good song-old ironic approach trick has been used up. "Perfect Situation" makes me wish it weren't so produced and had some of the fragile life that the blue album brought us. This album offers more straight up drum beats and boring bass lines than any other Weezer outing. "Pardon Me" seems kind of like a crap cover version of "Only In Dreams".

Before the Green Album, I understood the much talked about INFLUENCE of Pinkerton on the emo movement of '01-'02. But now I see a band who once helped inspire an entire GENRE, join that genre with such a timid and crappy adaptation, that they became an older version of an average emo band. How do you create a genre, then become a middle contender in it's weak dying out? Beats me.

That stuff I said above about forgiving Weezer, I take back..
But then I'll put in Pinkerton on a road trip, and forgive them again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Keegan DeWitt said...

p.s. that album cover is the stupidest thing I've ever seen.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Chad Hartigan said...

i think you're review went from good to bad to terrible as you were typing it.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Keegan DeWitt said...

Wait, my opinion, or the actual quality of my review?!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Chad Hartigan said...

your opinion.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Chad Hartigan said...

the quality was bad to begin with. ba-zing!

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home